The boiler house originally contained 6 Babcock & Wilcox boilers providing steam at 200 lb/square inch with 150°F superheat.
The boilers were double drum water tube units, each with a total heating surface of 2690 square feet. Each had an economiser with a heating surface of 960 square feet.
The coal fired chain grate stoker of each boiler had a grate area of 72 square feet. Coal and ash handling were fully automatic.
In 1951 two additional boilers were installed next to the Babcock & Wilcox boilers. These were John Thompson water tube boilers designed to burn up to 40% low grade coal or coke breeze in “sandwich” firing with regular coal.
The total length of tubing within these boilers was approximately 1½ miles. Each boiler produced 15,000 pounds of steam per hour at a temperature of 600°F. Measured overall thermal efficiency was 84.567% during a trial lasting 14 hours in which 13,000 readings were taken.
All the boilers were scrapped in 1981 but some of the doors from the Babcock and Wilcox boilers were preserved. One of these has been repainted and is pictured above right.